Frequently Asked Questions & Answers
What is counselling?
Counselling is acollaboration of a dual relationship between the counsellor and client which occur during sessions. I help clients to identify goals and work together on finding solutions to problems causing emotional and mental distress in client’s lives.
I also assist clients to improve their communication to support open communication, skills to support improvement of coping, self-esteem, increased confidence, self-belief. To also support clients to change negative thoughts and behavioural patterns. The overall aim of therapy is to improve quality of life.
Is Therapy Confidential?
Yes, whatever is discussed during therapy is confidential. The space from which therapeutic service is provided is always private. The only time discussions would lead to disclosure is if you plan to commit crime or are involved in criminal activities as I have a duty of care to the public as a whole and therefore, I am bound by BACP to report such matters accordingly. Should this be the case, you will be informed of this intention and have the opportunity also talk about the issue in privacy. Here are some examples of when the need for disclosure may arise:
– Threats to self-harm
– Threats to harm others ie terrorism, hijacking, kidnapping, violence etc
– Suspected harm or abuse to elders, children and vulnerable groups if, a client is the perpetrator.
Does Counselling Really Work?
• Counselling works but it requires clients to be equipped to experience some discomfort as they work towards reducing passivity during communication. It has been evidenced in numerous studies and research that clients who actively participate in therapy do better than those who retain their passive style of communication. Psychotherapy has produced positive effects for a high percentage of participants who decided to experience the process have improved mental and emotional health and wellbeing.
How often do I need to attend sessions?
• Clients who attend weekly sessions benefit greatly from the regularity of support provided. Regular attendance assists clients and therapists’ relationship as it increases client’s ability to identify noticeable self-improvement in behavioural patterns as a matter of course. Regular check-in’s also assist clients to increase their self-awareness in the short-term. Regular engagement produces a distinct improvement between relationship with self and how client relates with others.
Client’s regular engagement with therapy results in client feeling less resistant towards change and goal setting which results in smoother transitional changes over a period time. Client progress is reviewed during the therapeutic process. After a period of regular sessions can be reduced to 2 weekly or monthly sessions at which stage ending sessions is determined by the client’s acknowledgement of their increased ability to cope during self-healing as they use tools provided to support daily functioning and maintenance of their mental health and wellbeing.
Sessions are between 50 minutes to 1&1/2 hours. This depends on the nature of issue(s) presented that you are trying to resolve. The choice is yours.
Do I really need Counselling?
• This is for the individual client to decide as therapy is a process for personal development and the process can be used to assist with any common mental or emotional health issues you might be experiencing. Sometimes you might feel low in mood and just want someone unbiased to you through this period. Alternatively, you might feel the need to receive emotional support to process your decision-making or to uplift your mood whilst enhancing your quality of life with yourself or within your relationships ie work, family, friendships, partnerships etc.
Counselling can work for you when you feel ready to approach issues/problems to improve your overall quality of life. If this is the case for you, then counselling can help you. There is no issue too big or too small which can’t be worked through. It all depends on the individual’s desire and need to change that which impacts on them negatively.
Attending therapy is a personal matter that helps clients to positively connect with themselves and others. Successful therapy all depends on client’s commitment towards their goals. Willingness to confront fears, concerns, difficulties, and “self” whilst learning to be open during the process will assist individuals with becoming authentic. It will require commitment towards your own self-healing and your determination to change will make your therapeutic experience a success.
Fill the form below
Contact Me Today
I offer a free, no-obligation initial consultation. You will get a chance to discuss your concerns and goals. This session will help you understand therapy and determine if it's right for you. In a supportive and non-judgmental environment, we'll explore solutions to your challenges. No commitment is required after the consultation. I'm dedicated to making therapy accessible and affordable. Reach out to schedule a consultation and take the first step towards better mental health.
Simply enter your contact details and I will call you back to schedule your free initial cosnultation.